Contact Info

If you have a question please feel free to leave a comment or email me at thegoodthebadandthearmy@yahoo.com

The original inspiration for this blog was Brandon Mcguire's excellent account of his BCT and AIT experiences at mcguires5.com, which I highly suggest you check out.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BUSTED!

Friday, February 15, 2013- Today we wore our full "battle rattle" which consists of our I.B.A. (bulletproof armor vest), A.C.H. (combat helmet) and FLIC (which is kind of like an ammo vest worn on top of the I.B.A.) It was the first time we had worn it all day and everyone was tired and cranky it seemed, because of the newly endured burden. The rifle simulator training was fine and we were back at the barracks by 1700 and sitting down just beginning to eat MREs for dinner, Then, the most interesting part of the day happened. Our battalion commander came walking right into the breezeway under our barracks and past two platoons who didn't  call the company to attention. That's a huge no- no here. Because they did not pay attention to detail, everyone had to throw away their MREs. The WHOLE company. I found out the reason for his visit right before that happened though. He was there to speak with me.

I remembered the first day we had spent here when he came through and was introduced to each platoon by their Drill Sergeants. DS Pain Bringer had actually said "You don't want him to know your name" because it usually means you're in trouble. And here he was, standing next to DS Amazon, asking me about my blog. You see, apparently, my wife had found our Company's Facebook page and had been conversing with family members of other people in company, and wanting to let them know what kind of experience their loved one was having, she gladly shared the link to this blog with the aforementioned soldier's relatives. The next day, DS Action Man came up to me and said he had read every page. Apparently, ALL the drill sergeants had and somehow word got up to the battalion commander and he read it as well. So one misplaced link took me from kinda blending in with everyone else to all the drill sergeants and the battalion CO knowing who I am. Well, I don't really mind who knows about it, I didn't start the blog to badmouth the Army. I simply wanted to let people know my experience. That it's different for everyone, and that it's hard sometimes (and for good reason, not just ANYBODY can join the Army.) That it can definitely change a person, can instill discipline and a sense of duty and responsibility to those that may not quite have that yet. And to those that already do, it can make them leaders of men. I knew my experience would be unique, due to my age and um... activity level, lol, but I wanted the world to see what the Army could do with someone like me, as a piece of clay in their potter's wheel and kiln.  In the short time being involved with the military, I've grown to love this environment and would never intentionally do anything to cast a bad light on it.

The battalion CO was very gracious during our conversation and definitely was aware of my freedom of speech rights. I think he just wanted me to be aware that certain things are of a sensitive nature and to be cautious. And I surely will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment