Contact Info

If you have a question please feel free to leave a comment or email me at thegoodthebadandthearmy@yahoo.com

The original inspiration for this blog was Brandon Mcguire's excellent account of his BCT and AIT experiences at mcguires5.com, which I highly suggest you check out.

Monday, February 11, 2013

No Phone Call for You!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013- Yesterday, we went to the range. But most of us didn't shoot because the trip was only for those who hadn't grouped or zeroed yet. It was a pretty laid back day overall with a lot of sitting around and talking about home, and showing ID pictures from when we all still had hair. They said I looked like a hairdresser with my gelled up hair and trimmed beard in my drivers license pic, lol. We marched back around 1830, ate hot A's for dinner, then had mail call. I was hoping for a letter but no such luck. Then someone mentioned to DS Pain Bringer that  all the other platoons had gotten phone calls home, so shes aid we'd get to call home the next day! So today, everyone was on their best behavior  all day so we wouldn't get the phone call taken away. We went back to the range in the morning but this time it was a different range with targets that popped up. I did okay on the closer target that was about 175 meters away but  on the 300 meter target, I had some trouble hitting consistently. It wasn't 'till I was on my last five rounds that the DS overseeing us told me that the sand bags under my rifle needed to be higher all along. All of a sudden, I was shootin' right! The best part about the whole day was that we got to ride a bus over to the new range because it's so far from company HQ. And on the way back the bus driver had the radio on and we got to hear actual music! It was like some kind of 90's R&B rush hour megamix, but we didn't care. We were jammin' out. We got back to barracks, ate hot A's and were excitedly waiting for DS Pain Bringer to come back and let us have our phone calls. Then our new replacement Drill Sergeant (the one who replaced DS Hood who was sent to Charlie company) came up to us and told us we would have nearly an hour and a half of personal time (woohoo!) But when someone asked her about the promised phone calls, she said there wouldn't be any! I was sooo depressed. I would have rather not been given the hope of getting to call home  the n be promised it and have it taken away. Just hearing my wife's voice would have recharged my batteries for weeks, I'm sure. I nearly cried in the middle of formation 'cause I was so mad, sad and upset. It was a real morale drain. It's amazing how much something like a letter can make up for a bunch of pain and stress. I don't care how many push ups they make us do for each letter (right now it's between 10 and 30) I just want the emotional support. But I'll figure out a way to not let it bum me out when they don't call my name at mail call.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention! We had our second Ability Group Run yesterday morning. I was in C group, the slowest one. And we ran about  to 3 miles. They said whoever fell out would get a counseling statement or worse. So I pushed myself hard and even though I felt like I was gonna die right at the end, I actually made it and was genuinely surprised  because I had never run nonstop for that far. 39 people fell out. But not me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment